Are you excited about Easter? I know I am! Since we decided to have a German style breakfast (I’m not sure why we only can manage it for Easter), we made some meat salad. You’re probably wondering „What the . . . why would you have salad for breakfast????“ Well, let me fill you in on a little secret. We Germans love and I mean LOVE a nice breakfast with loads of different breads or bread-rolls, different cuts of sandwich meats and cheeses, different spreads and jams. And that meat salad goes beautifully on your bread-roll. If you haven’t been to Germany it’s probably very hard to imagine.
The meat salad is one of the few things that I really do miss from Germany! If you like to try something new with your next fresh sour dough purchase, please try this recipe. It’s really easy!
- 125 g ham or turkey breast
- 6 little cornichons, chopped really small
- half a teaspoon of chopped onion
For the dressing you need:
- 50 g Mayonnaise (I would recommend whole egg mayonnaise or Thomy)
- 1 Table spoon yoghurt
- 0.5 tea spoon mustard
- chives and or parsley
- salt and pepper
1) Mix the meat with the cornichons and onion
2) For the dressing, mix the mayonnaise with the yoghurt, mustard, salt and pepper and the herbs.
It’s important that you give the meat salad some time to rest. I like to prepare it the evening before the breakfast.
(Another important bit: The German table spoon is just your normal big spoon and the tea spoon just the little one out of your drawer)
Enjoy and let me know what you think!